Monday, March 2, 2009

What's the deal with food cravings and pregnancy?

So when I first was pregnant I found I really craved carrots, salad, and pizza. Now the pizza thing has remained the same through out the entire pregnancy (who doesn't like pizza?), but the last two months I have craved nothing but SWEETS! How annoying. Instead of sitting their dreaming about apples like I once did, I dream about brownies and ice cream or James' famous chocolate chip cookies! My mouth is actually watering just thinking about it...

I have been able to appease myself in a few ways with out caving in to temptation. First I try carrots. Weird, I know - but whenever I start chowing down on baby carrots for some reason the sweet craving goes away. I used to eat a carrot if I had too much sugar and was feeling sick before I was married, so I knew for some reason carrots help me out. Unfortunately all my baby carrots disappear very quickly... hence the sweet cravings return.

I also felt that apples actually helped too. They were tarty (which I love) but sweet as well to kind of tone down the 'sugar cravings' as I like to call them. Unfortunately, even after chowing down three or four apples I'm usually still hungry, and the cravings for unhealthy snacks return. *Sigh*

My cravings have only sky rocketed since James introduced my favorite candies into my life again for valentines day. I love him for it (Seriously! Love him for it!) but at the same time it makes eating a well balanced diet very unappealing and a bit of a challenge when all I feel like doing is drinking a few glasses of milk and sitting down eating dove chocolates all day.

The only other thing I have noticed I crave during this pregnancy?

Peanut Butter: I smear it on everything. Graham crackers. Apples. Oranges. Chips. Anything and everything if I think of it. I seriously cannot get enough.

Mexican Food: I am almost certain James is growing tired of it, but I seriously have a huge hankering for Mexican goodness. Which is strange, because normally I am not the biggest Mexican fan. But now when I think of dinner I am loving the idea of beans, rice, tortillas, meat, tomatoes, spices, tacos, enchiladas, taco soup, chips with salsa... anything and everything. Just that whole genre is very appealing. Poor James. He actually is not the biggest fan normally either (hence we get along very well).

So it makes me ask the question: What is the deal with food cravings in pregnancy?

Some people believe that cravings are hormone-related. Some people crave things during their period, and the same thing happens to pregnant women. Another theory suggests that cravings during pregnancy is simply the body's way of telling the pregnant woman what she needs. For example, if you're constantly craving cheese and oranges those cravings might be your body's way of telling you that you need more calcium and vitamin C.

So what does craving sweets all the time tell me? I need sugar and fat? haha.

Do any of you have any tips for curbing your 'sweet' appetite while you were pregnant?

I try to limit myself to a certain amount (such as 2 cookies, or 1/2 piece of cake with only 1 scoop of ice cream). It does seem to help in that I am satisfied half of the time with the limited amount. Unfortunately the other half of the time I just get cross and make James let me break my limit by sneaking me another piece.

What types of food cravings did you or do you notice with your pregnancy?

2 comments:

Marie said...

With Rosalee all I wanted to eat was spicy food. Anything with jalapeno in it was GREAT! With this baby I crave milk (which I hate drinking) and other dairy products. I've always thought what you crave is what your body is lacking so I'm not sure why you crave sweets. Maybe you need more energy to keep up with Jack so your body wants you to stock up on sugars.

Heather and Aaron said...

I have to say that so far with both of my girls I have craved anything and everything sweet! It is natural and you can't deny your body what it wants. It's ok to give in. I don't know why I craved sugar all the time, but I had to have my 'fix' everyday! Good luck, I know how it feels!!